- Associate Professor Dongryeol Ryu
- 406A, Engineering Block D, Dept of Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
- Email: d r y u [at] u n i m e l b . e d u . a u
- Tel: +61-3-8344-7115
- 2003 - 2006: Ph.D. in Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, USA, Dissertation: Footprint-Scale Soil Moisture Spatial-Temporal Variability and Implication for Satellite Validation
- 2001 - 2003: M.S. in Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, USA
- 1998 - 2000: M.S. in Geology (Hydrogeology), Seoul National University, Korea, Dissertation: Estimation of Hydraulic Properties around a Gas Storage Cavern from Hydraulic Responses to Gas Pressure Fluctuation
- 1991 - 1997: B.S. in Geological Science, Seoul National University, Korea (Served for Korean Army in 1994 - 1996)
- Jul. 2017 - : Director, Hort-Eye Pty. Ltd.
- Jan. 2017 - : Associate Professor, Department of Infrastructure Engineering, Melbourne School of Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Sep. 2011 - Dec. 2016: Senior Lecturer, Department of Infrastructure Engineering, Mel- bourne School of Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- May 2008 - Aug. 2011: Lecturer, Department of Infrastructure Engineering, Melbourne School of Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Mar. 2006 - Apr. 2008: Research Physical Scientist, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Maryland USA
- Sep. 2004 - Mar. 2006: NASA Earth System Science Graduate Fellow
- Sep. 2001 - Aug. 2004: Research Assistant (includes Teaching Assistant for 3 quarters), Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, USA
Postgraduate and Undergraduate Coursework Programs
- Development of GEOM90005 Remote Sensing
- Development of ENEN90032 Environmental Analysis Tools
- Development of ENEN90030 Contaminant Hydrogeology
- Development of projects for ENEN90025/CVEN40017 Analysis and Design - Environmental Systems
- GEOM90005 Remote Sensing, 2014-ongoing
- ENEN0030 Contaminant Hydrogeology (Groundwater Hydrology from 2014), 2011-2015
- ENEN90032 Environmental Analysis Tools, 2010-ongoing
Lecturing and other delivery
- ENEN90032 Environmental Analysis Tools (100%), 2010-ongoing
- ENEN90030 Groundwater Hydrology (50%), 2011-2015
- GEOM90005 Remote Sensing (100%), 2014-ongoing
Other Teaching Experience
- Coorinator/instructor of ENEN90025/CVEN40017 Analysis and Design - Environmental Systems, 2008-2010
- Lecture on Environmental Remote Sensing for delegates from India as a part of Aus-Aid training program, 2012
- Lectures on Time Series Analysis and Baseflow Analysis for the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, 2012, 2013
- Lecture on Microwave Remote Sensing for delegates from China as a part of Aus-Aid training program, 2009
- Lecture on Remote Sensing and Its Hydrological Applications for Shanxi Aus-Aid training program, 2010
- Oceanography (ESS3), Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, 2004
- The Atmosphere (ESS5), Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, 2003
- Geology (ESS7), Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, 2002
Research Higher Degree (RHD) Supervision
- Abbas Mohammadi (2012–), Combining DEM and New-Generation Satellite Observations to Understand Large Complex River Systems.
- Kate Park (2014–), UAV-borne Sensing of Vegetation Water Stress and Soil Wetness.
- Chihchung Chou (2015–), Investigating the Impact of Irrigation Development on the Indian Monsoon Using a Coupled Land-Atmosphere System.
- Naveen Joseph (2015–), Investigation of Optimal Agricultural Water Resources Management of India in Changing Climate.
- Shuci Liu (2016–), Impact of Spatially Distributed Land Information from Satellites on Water Quality.
- Jie Jian (2017–), Hydrologic model calibration using ground-based and satellite observations of water levels
- Manish K. Patel (2018–), Very-high-resolution remote sensing of water and nutrient stresses using hyperspectral and thermal infrared sensors
- Danuta Kucharska (2010–, part time), Characterisation of Stream Network and Flood Inundation in the Cooper Creek Catchment Using Satellite Remote Sensing.
- Amir Orangi (2014–), Evaluation of Soil Properties through Electromagnetic Fields.
- Yawen Shao (2018–), Hydrological forecast using Bayesian methods (tentative title)
Master Research Project Students
- Tracy Shuying Guo (2017-2018), Mapping Moira grass in the Barmah National Park using high-resolution optical satellite instrument
- Marie J. Ilagan (2018), Characterisation of the River Red Gum and topographic features in the Barmah National Park using UAV-borne LiDAR
- Ye Nan (2008–2014, PhD in August 2014), Mixed Pixel Retrieval of Soil Moisture from L-band Passive Microwave Observations.
- Yuan Li (2010–2014, PhD in October 2014), Assimilation of Stream Discharge into Continuous Flood Forecasting Models.
- Camila Alvarez (2011–2016, PhD in April 2016), Assimilation of Satellite Soil Moisture into Real-Time Flood Forecasting Models.
- Venkata Radha Akuraju (2011–, submitted thesis in December 2017), Estimation of Root-Zone Soil Moisture Using Evapotranspiration.
- Ying Gao (2011–2016, PhD in 2016), Improving Spatial Resolution of Satellite Soil Moisture Using Coupled Active and Passive Microwave Algorithms.
- Minoo Hashemian (2012–2016, PhD in 2016), Estimating Root-Zone Soil Moisture by Assimilating Remotely Sensed Biophysical and Thermal Variables into Modelling.
- Aiswarya Kunnath Poovakka (2012–2017, PhD in August 2017), Large-Scale Water Resources Assessment Using Integrated Model-Observation System.
Master by Research (MPhil) Students
- Andrew Nolan (2014–2016, earned MPhil in April 2016), Remote Sensing Crop Vigour using Unmanned Aerial System (UAS)
Undergraduate and Master Research Project Students
- Haoji Sima, 2008, Impact of Recent Droughts (2005-2006) on Water Resources in the Murray-Darling Basin (CEE Final Year).
- Kaighin A. McColl, 2009, Soil Salinity Impacts on L-Band Microwave Remote Sensing of Soil Moisture and Implications for Microwave Satellite Missions (CEE Final Year).
- Jock Martin, 2009, Evaluation of Satellite Precipitation Product over Inner Basins in Australia (CEE Final Year).
- Daniel White, 2009, Remote Sensing of Evapotranspiration in the Musi Catchment, India (CEE Final Year).
- Edwin Cassano, 2010, Simulation of Multiphase Contaminant Transport from a Point Source (ME Environmental).
- Jonathan Ho, 2010, Comparative Analysis of NDVI and Microwave-Derived Soil Moisture for Determining Surface Water in the Cooper Creek Catchment (CEE Final Year).
- Rong Zhuang, 2011, Mapping Flood Events Using Remote Sensing in an Arid Zone River, Central Australia (ME Environmental).
- Chenxi Zang, 2012, Optimal Solution to Calibrate Land Surface Models (ME Environmental).
- Ana Kovacevic, 2012, Characterisation of AWRA-L model error covariance structure and implications for generating ensemble predictions (ME Environmental).
- Kai Kang, 2012, Utilizing Plant Biophysical Responses to Water Stress to Estimate Soil Water Content (ME Environmental).
- Peng Xu, 2012, Optimal Calibration Strategies for Land Surface Modelling Using Surface Moisture Content and Evapotranspiration (ME Environmental).
- Jinjin Liu, PHil Howarth, and Thomas Emmett, 2013, Remote Sensing of Vegetation from Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Platforms (ME Civil, ME Environmental).
- Zhengtao An, 2013, Evaluation of Real-Time Satellite Precipitation Product in Australia (ME Environmental).
- Ninik Damiyati, 2014, Mapping the Expansion of Mines in Forest Area of Kalimantan, Indonesia (Master of Environment, Office for Env. Programs).
- He Ma and Kentaro Takido, 2014–2015, Hyperspectral Sensing of Vegetation Biomass (ME Environmental).
- Jie Jian, 2015, Streamflow Prediction in Ungauged Basins using Water Level Measurements (ME Environmental).
- Shuci Liu, 2015, Estimating Land Surface Soil Moisture from Space (ME Environmental).
- Yue Wang, 2015, Upscaling UAV-borne High Resolution Vegetation Index to Satellite Resolutions over Horticultural Fields (ME Spatial Information).
- Tatag Bagus Narendra, 2015, A Comparison of Methods for Downscaling SMOS Derived Soil Moisture Using MODIS Visible, Near Infrared, and Thermal Infrared Data (ME Spatial Information).
- Jenni Yao, 2016, Mapping the Crop Water Stress of Individual Vines Using Thermal Data Collected by RPAS (ME Spatial Information).
- Yuxian Zeng, 2016, Development of a Flash Flood Potential Index in Australia (ME Environmental).
- Ian Buck, Zhi-Weng Chua, and Ramamourthy Veerapen, 2016, National Scale Flood Forecasting Using Australian Water Resources - Landscape (AWRA-L) Model (ME Environmental).
- Hugh Baird and Angus Cole-Adams, 2016, Development of Thermography Calibration Targets for Monitoring Water Stress in Viticulture from UAVs (ME Spatial Information).
- Hania Alhamad, 2017, Co-registration of Thermal and Multi-spectral UAV Images Using a Calibration-based Approach for Side-by-Side Camera Configuration
- Beiyuan Sun and Jin Zhang, 2017, Comparison of Active and Passive Optical Remote Sensing of Vegetation
- Kevin Kaiming Sun and Tom Do, 2017, Crop Nitrogen Content Estimation Using Multi-spectral Images Obtained from UAV
- Jock Lawrence and Lewis Tanoyo, 2017, Non-destructive Wheat Biomass Estimations Using UAV-based LiDAR
- Yawen Shao, 2017, Assessment of vegetation indices to estimate plant biophysical parameters from UAV images
Research Grants and Contracts
- 2017-2018, Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GB-CMA) Research Contract, Mapping Moira grass location on a Murray River floodplain area using multispectral sensors on board of unmanned aerial platforms, Suarez and Ryu ($40K)
- 2017-2018, Ground Spectroscopy Set Research Initiatives Fund Collaborative Equipment Grant, The University of Melbourne, Ryu et al. ($150K (UoM) + $50k (Partners))
- 2017-2018, Collaborative Agreement in relation to Strengthening AWRA-L groundwater flux and storage ESTIMATION Pilot research Project, Bureau of Meteorology, Peterson, Ryu, and Western ($120)
- 2017, Rural Research Institute of Korea Research Contract, A study on estimation techniques of crop water stress using remote sensing imagery, Ryu ($27)
- 2017, Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI) Award, Remote Sensing of Illegal Waste Disposal, Ryu and Mohammadi ($25K)
- 2017, Horticultural Innovation Fund of Victoria, The Application of the UAV-borne Hyperspectral Crop Disease Detection in Processing Tomatoes, Ryu et al. ($40)
- 2017, North East Catchment Management Authority Research Contract, Assessment of Potential Drought Refuges in the Upper Oven River Based on UAV Thermal Imagery, Casas-Mullet and Ryu ($50K)
- 2016-2017, Melbourne Collaborative Research Infrastructure Platform Fund, Melbourne Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Platform (MUASIP), Ryu et al. ($320K)
- 2015, Melbourne School of Engineering Major Teaching Infrastructure Fund, Ryu, ($14K)
- 2015, Melbourne School of Engineering Strategic Equipment Fund (Light-weight LiDAR for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), Ryu ($208K)
- 2015, Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI) Seed Funding, A Framework for Remote Sensing and Data Analysis Using Fixed and Mobile Sensors in a Combined Sensor Network, Kazmierczak, Ryu and Fuentes ($60K)
- 2015, DEPI-UoM Innovation Seed Fund for Horticultural Development, UAV-borne Infrared Thermography for Plant Water Stress, Ryu, Fuentes, O’Connell ($25K)
- 2014, ARC Linkage Project Grant (LP140100495), Predicting water quality at the catchment scale: learning from two decades of monitoring, Western, Ryu, Webb, Leahy, Schreiber, Watson, Waters, Goudey ($315K (ARC) + $165K (Industry))
- 2013-2014, ESA Climate Change Initiative (Research Contract with Vienna University of Technology), De-noising of ECV Soil Moisture Satellite Data Using Physical Model-based Digital Filters, Su and Ryu ($30K)
- 2013, Carlton Connect Initiative Fund - Research Collaboration Scheme, Integrated Model- Observation System for Water Resources Assessment in Remote Regions, Ryu, Western, Stewardson, Costelloe, Alcorn, McNeil ($146K)
- 2013, Carlton Connect Initiative Fund - Research Facilitation Scheme, Forecasting and control systems for the upper Murray River. Weyer, Ryu, Western, Stewardson, Webb, Langford, Dreverman, Ooi, Saleem ($20K)
- 2013, ARC LIEF Grant (LE130100040), Integrated Greenhouse Gas Measurement System (IGMS) for monitoring agricultural emissions at field to regional scales, Chen, Western, Grace, Griffith, Chung, Hacker, Ryu, Phillips, Eckard, Beringer, Dassanyake, Denmead ($450K)
- 2012-2016, US National Science Foundation, Partnerships in International Research and Education (PIRE): Low energy options for making water from waste water, Grant, AghaKouchak, Ambrose, Bowler, Cooper, Detwiler, Elghobashi, Feldman, Jiang, Kohne, Lejano, Levin, Riley, McBride, Prather, Saphores, Rosso, Sanders, Sengupta, Stein, Sutula, Tang, Treseder, Vrugt, Brown, Cook, Deletic, Fletcher, Hamilton, Marusic, McCarthy, Ryu, Stewardson, Western ($4M)
- 2011-2014, ARC Linkage Project Grant (LP110200520), A New-Generation Flood Fore- casting System Using Observations from Space, Western, Ryu, Walker, Elliot, Leahy, Crow, Wang, Pagano, Renzullo ($174K (ARC) + $120K (Industry))
- 2010-2013, ACIAR Project Grant, Impacts of climate change and watershed development on whole-of-basin agricultural water security in the Krishna and Murray-Darling basins, Malano, Davidson, Ryu, Pavelic, Kumar, Anshuman ($1.3M)
- 2010-2014, CSIRO Research Grant, Impact of bushfires and land use changes on seasonal stream flows for real-time forecasting, Ryu and Western ($110K)
- 2010-2011, Korea Polar Research Institute Research Grant, Global mapping of sea surface salinity using multiple L-band satellite instruments, Ryu ($90K)
- 2009-2011, ARC Discovery Project Grant (DP0984586), Active-passive microwave soil moisture remote sensing: Towards sustainable land and water management from space, Walker, Ryu, Gray, and Jackson ($540K)
- 2009, The University of Melbourne, Joint Research Project Grant, Improved flood predic- tion using remotely sensed soil moisture from space, Ryu and Crow. ($10K)